But what may take a team’s collaboration to the edge? What really creates clutter and unease within a team? Here are some of the reasons behind what maybe causing this:
- The difference between a team and a group maybe one of the reasons behind a lack of collaboration. Some teams may only be a team in just the name, but are in fact acting and are just a group of individuals that have been put together. It is like a band of musicians where each one plays at their own time, speed and power.
- Inefficient leadership may also be another reason behind a non-collaborative team. This allows individuals with strong personalities to derail the whole group or even influence team members to display rebellious behavior.
- Also, the team’s collaboration maybe challenged because of just one individual who strongly believes in his / her own abilities more than the teams abilities put together. This kind of energy disintegrates the team members by lack of trust and coordination.
- It may also be because of a general disruption within a team, with an attitude of arrogance and disrespect of team members to each another.
- And lastly, an important reason behind a team not collaborating is because of external forces which shake the bond and collaboration of a team. This might be because of stress from an impossible deadline, lack of resources, or even rumors of layoffs or cuts in salaries.
Steps for adjusting and embracing new levels of collaboration:
Evaluate the situation
Without getting to the root of the problem, a solution cannot be found. It may be obvious which of the above reasons may be causing the lack of collaboration but if not, a good way is to directly ask the team members by making each and every one of them feel that their opinion does matter. Take in all that has been shared and be an observer to what is shared.
Be open to learn from successful models of strong teams. It can be from other managers of the corporation you are part of, or from external corporations and colleagues, or mentors and consultants.
Set the standards for a strong team
There must be some standards that constitute what a strong team is. Invest time and energy in identifying what those standards and characteristics are. For example, it may be working hard and with intensive actions where one or more team members who prefer not to follow this rhythm. This will definitely create hustle and an energy anchor to the progress and acceleration of the team. If this is the case, invest some time to talk to this individual and to find out why.
Consider the WHY
What is the reason behind a strong team? Is it affecting the results created or is it just for show? There are some cases where team members are relaxed and still, great goals and results are accomplished. Is it this the case in your team?
Invest in creating relationships
Invest in activating non-professional relationships like team building activities or just a team outing. This will allow the team member to observe and experience their colleagues as individuals outside of the work environment.
Make each and every member of the team accountable to the action steps that are set in order to meet the corporate purpose and the team goal. This will create a strong bond and acceleration. In the case that a team member doesn’t participate in this, soon the rest of the team will carry on and will leave that person behind which will result in a shift of either to follow or to drop out of the team.
Identify the detractor
If the case is a specific individual, take that person aside and find out why they behave like this.
Plan formal follows ups and check-ins. It can be as often as once per week during the initial steps towards a new culture of the team, or once per month. Once the energy is rolling, it will soon accelerate and expand rapidly.
If you have found this article useful, please share it with your friends via social media and by e-mail, and like and give your comments and thoughts.
To your success,
Personal and Professional Development coach
Telephone: +357 7000 7888